Come, Mommy

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Croup

Apparently that's what they call a combination of a barking cough and breathing that sounds like a broken train whistle. Apparently it most often strikes at night. That's what I learned during a late-night pediatric consult last night.

I've never heard Liam struggling to breathe like that, and with Rebecca's recent scare fresh in my mind, I phoned Liam's doctor at 10:00 last night. She could hear him struggling from her end of phone, suggested I take him into a steamy bathroom for 10 minutes, and if he was no better, to drive him to the ER. Fortunately, the steam did the trick. We had to repeat the treatment several times last night, but he does seem at least a bit better today. Thank goodness, because I don't think my heart can take too many more nights like that.

So, yes, we're both exhausted today. And yes, we're both a touch on the cranky side. But I've learned how lucky I am to have a healthy child. That's a big lesson that is more important than a good night's sleep.

6 Comments:

  • Ugh. So sorry. We've had croup here before, too, and it's damn scary sounding. I knew what it was right away thanks to chichimama, whose kids have had it many times, but that made it no less frightening. FYI, croup can often repeat itself several nights in a row, even when the child seems better during the day. I hope Liam's case is over and done with, but at not, at least you, too, will know what to expect. Sending healthy sleep vibes to both of you!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at Saturday, March 18, 2006 7:59:00 PM  

  • Wishing you a quick recovery from the croup!

    By Blogger Phantom Scribbler, at Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:47:00 PM  

  • Ulgh, I am so sorry. We have had it many times, only once did I have to shlep to the ER. If the steam doesn't work, try standing outdoors for 10 minutes. That is actually supposed to be even better, or so the ER doc told me...

    Hang in there.

    By Blogger chichimama, at Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:52:00 PM  

  • PS, in case they didn't tell you COOL MIST humidifier, cranked up as high as it will go helps to prevent.

    By Blogger chichimama, at Saturday, March 18, 2006 8:53:00 PM  

  • Hi Phantom, and welcome :) And thank you for the well wishes.

    And Rebecca and chichimama, I don't envy you for going through this multiple times. Once is definitely enough for me. I Googled croup and thereby found that it might recur, but so far tonight, Liam's just sounding congested, not croupy. But boy, that was scary. Also, I borrowed one of those humidifiers from a neighbor today, so that may be what's helping tonight.

    And funny, although not so funny this morning - Liam's pediatrician called us just to check in. I mentioned that Kevin is in Florida, and she said it's a shame we didn't go with him, that the ocean air would have been perfect in this situation. Gee, thanks!

    By Blogger Liesl, at Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:17:00 PM  

  • Yikes! I'm glad he's doing better -- sounds like you did everything right, except of course for going to Florida (how's that for 20/20 hindsight)!

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home