Come, Mommy

Friday, February 24, 2006

L is for Logic

Although neither Kevin nor I have spent much time teaching Liam his alphabet beyond what he picks up when we read to him, it has recently become apparent to me that he knows his letters, and he knows the sounds associated with some of them. At any rate, he was wandering around the living room studying an alphabet block the other day:

Liam: "L is for lion!"

Me: "That's true."

Liam: "L is for lollipop!"

Me: "Yup."

Liam: "L is for Liam!"

Me (now paying attention): "Yes, it is...hey, how'd you know that??"

Liam (triumphantly): "L is for ELEPHANT!"

Me: "Yes it is! Wait, no it's not. Well, um, it sounds like it should be, doesn't it?"

I guess this serves as Liam's first lesson in the illogical make-up of the English language. Now, if I could just explain that the plural of "foot" is not "foots."

3 Comments:

  • How cute! We're working on "mines" instead of mine.

    By Blogger chichimama, at Saturday, February 25, 2006 8:01:00 AM  

  • English is a completely confounding language. For a while (I think around age 2), my son would say things like "What is him doing?" and "He throwed the ball."

    Good thing they don't have to learn the language as an adult!

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:39:00 PM  

  • Chichimama, and there's the problem! "Mines" is in fact a proper word, just one of little use to the toddler set :)

    Suzanne, I know, I know! My grammar is far from perfect, and my spelling is suspect at times.

    My fil is originally from Alexandria, and learned English before coming to grad school in the States. He's constantly amused by the inconsistencies in the English language.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Sunday, February 26, 2006 1:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home