Come, Mommy

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

More Evidence Of Overthinking

So I saw an ad from a natural gas consortium showing scenes of wholesome daily American life (powered by natural gas, natch). The take-home lesson from the ad was that we need to conserve natural gas. Amongst the scenes in this ad was one of a mom heating up a bottle for her baby. So I thought proudly to myself, "See? I am so not wasting America's natural gas supply heating up formula for my baby. And further, formula manufacturing requires a significant energy output not only in making the formula, but in taking care of the cows, and also in raising the grain they eat. So, self, you are good person!"

Just for grins and giggles, I then calculated the carbon footprint for our family. We're a bit below the average American family in carbon emissions. Now, we'd be significantly below except for the fact that I just bought four plane tickets for us to go to Chicago in July. Air travel is not easy on the carbon emissions budget.

Now the irony of the situation is that we are going to Chicago to attend the La Leche League International Conference. All these breastfeeding advocates, a lot of whom also favor environmentally friendly lifestyles, contributing to carbon emissions by the very act of travelling to the Conference. It's bothering my overactive brain and my hyperaware conscience.

Maybe we should walk to Chicago?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home