Come, Mommy

Friday, April 27, 2007

Bits and Pieces of Mommy's First Week Alone With Two Kids

Well, well, well, I managed to get both kids to sleep at the same time. Since we know it's not safe to let a young sibling co-sleep alone with a newborn, I'll have to sit here beside them with my laptop and make use of unexpected blogging time keep an eagle eye on the kids.

It's our first week without either Gran-Gran or Kevin at home with us, and we've managed to survive quite well. It's helped that Kieran likes to sleep for large parts of the morning so I can give Leonard some well-deserved one-on-one time. We've played a lot of train games, bathed all of the ferrets, cleaned out the ferrets' house, weeded a flower bed, played trains, read some books, played trains, filled the bird feeders, played trains....you get the idea. So we're settling in well, I think.

Leonard had a lot of tantrums the last few weeks of my pregnancy and right after Kieran was born, but they largely died away this week, so I think it was as much the disruption in everyday life as anything else that gave rise to them. And I'm glad thinkgs have settled out so well - I was pretty worried about my ability to cope with two. So far, so good!


The two sleeping boys. Actually, Leonard has informed me that he is still a Big Doggie Who Goes Woof and Kieran is a Baby Puppy, so in truth I guess this is a picture of two sleeping canines.



Kieran had his first Waldorf School experience this morning. He came along with us to Liam's Parent-Child class, where he hung out collecting admiring fans, nursing, and sleeping. You'll notice he is wearing a hand-knitted sweater, and he looks absolutely adorable in it. In Waldorf schools, all the kids learn to knit in the lower grades. That means there is a community appreciation for the hard work that goes into handmade garments, and the sweater was a big hit. Thank you so much for making it, Chichimama! I just wish I could fit into it, it's so soft and fuzzy!

I haven't been to school with Liam in several weeks now, and he's starting to really play with the big kids - previously, he had been hanging out with me for most of the morning. We have him registered for the nursery next fall, and Kevin and I had both been concerned he woldn't be ready to make the separation from me for the morning, but I think that's no longer an issue. He's clearly ready for more active play with small people who have a chance of keeping up with him!


Here's a shot of Kieran wrangling the Great Doggler...

We had Casey to the vet this week for his annual check-up and shots. It turns out he's got a low grade fungal infection in his ears, so we get the fun of cleaning them every day with a special wash. It's not as bad as one might expect - the Great Doggler groans and generally loves us massaging the goop into his ear canals. Evidently this infection is itchy, although he never gave us any signs of discomfort.



Of course, Leonard the Great Big Doggie has decided that he has "dirt and fungus and mushrooms" in his ears, so here he is lined up waiting for me to clean his ears, too. And evidently his ears are itchy, too, as he has asked me to "clean" his ears three times already today!



This is actually from last week, but it's a milestone, so I'm throwing it in...

Liam went to school last week with Gran-Gran, and brought home his first craft project. He picked out the colors and everything "because yellow is the best color." So now it's hanging up in our room - the first art project from our first baby!

And that's the run-down from this week. Now that I've managed my first week of solo parenting, hopefully I'll be able to refine my skills a bit and actually do some blogging next week. That's the plan, anyway!

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • Aaw! I love the cardigan! Glad to see Leonard has made a comeback.

    By Blogger Lindy, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:40:00 AM  

  • (sigh) I absolutely love the adorable sleeping canine pic! Glad to hear things are going well.

    By Blogger Laura, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:43:00 AM  

  • Sounds like a successful first week to me! And glad Leonard is settling in to big brotherhood.

    I've never tried that kind of craft with the kids, I guess they can do it, huh? Thanks for posting it, I now know how I'll use up my scrap yarn!

    And glad the sweater was a hit. I think I forgot to tell you, you can machine wash it...

    By Blogger chichimama, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 7:49:00 AM  

  • Congrats on your first week alone! It sounds like you have done very well, especially with fitting in lots of one-on-one activities with Leonard. I love the sleeping "puppies" picture. Too cute. And, congrats on getting them both to sleep at the same time!!

    *I tried to comment last night, but there was no comment link, so coming in late now :) *

    By Blogger Steph, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 11:18:00 AM  

  • Steph - I don't know how that happens - Blogger just doesn't put up the link sometimes, and then I have to repost the whole thing.

    Chichimama - Thanks for the washing info! As for the craft, I bet C can do it if you show him. A might need a little help - I was helping one of the kids at school do one of those yesterday, and she had a little trouble figuring out which way to wind the yarn. But it's an easy project, and definitely good for leftover yarn.

    Laura and Lindyloo - Thanks :) Leonard is all about being a dog these days. Sometimes I get a bit concerned about it, but then I guess if you can't pretend to be a dog at age three, when can you??

    By Blogger Liesl, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 8:25:00 PM  

  • oh wow.. all those trains!!!!!!!
    go mommy.
    you're doing so well juggling all that in a week and still ending up with two happy boys. way to go...
    my kiddos made one of those last winter during our steiner (aka waldorf) days. pink/white/blue/purple. they look great :o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 10:51:00 PM  

  • Congrats on making it alone- that's just during the day, right? You're still getting some breaks? ; )

    Glad the dog who goes woof is feeling more balanced, and that sure is a precious puppy-- and a gorgeous sweater! I'm jealous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 11:04:00 PM  

  • oh- and Tag!ww

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 28, 2007 11:07:00 PM  

  • I cannot decide which is cuter: the boys sleeping together on the bed, or that SWEATER!! So totally adorable! (The boys and the sweater. :)

    Way to go on making it your first week alone! Woohoo! You've totally got it down, you SuperMama you.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Monday, April 30, 2007 11:07:00 PM  

  • What lovely pictures. Big brother is really growing up! My two oldest fuzzbutts had ear infection. I nixed with a aromatherapy blend. I had to use it on my dog Lalita also evidently the ferrets decided to "share the love".

    By Blogger Raw Vegan Momma, at Wednesday, May 02, 2007 8:07:00 PM  

  • glad to hear you are all settling in so well. sounds like things are going great! :)
    love all the pics, but esp the one of the two sleeping canines. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, May 02, 2007 10:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home