Come, Mommy

Monday, April 30, 2007

Real Mom Story

I've been tagged for the Real Moms meme by Amy and Camille. As near as I can tell this game was started by Kristen at The Mom Trap. The basic idea is talk about something Real Moms do, follow up with the tag line, "Real Moms. Making...", and provide a picture. But several people have changed the rules, so I may do that myself. Heh.

Here's my Real Mom Story - I mowed the back yard on Sunday. Not that mowing a lawn is anything unusual in suburban USA, but the part of it that only another mom would get is that I did it to get a break from parenting for a bit, and also to help Kevin out. But mostly it was to get some time to myself.

Yes, it's true. I spent 45 minutes pushing a very loud mower 'round and 'round the backyard just so I cold escape the screaming of the Mighty and Powerful Leonard. He wasn't screaming in despair, or frustration, but apparently only to test his ability to sound like "a fire engine or an ambeebeelance." And the sound was about to break the last nerve in my nervous system.

So I got some alone time outside on a gorgeous Spring afternoon. Sure it was loud, and I accidentally sent a lone tulip to its death, but no one was sitting on me, leaking on me, or asking ten-umpty-thousand "Why???" questions. It was great. And Kevin was even impressed with my mighty mower skills.

Anyone need some yard work taken care of? Have mower, will travel.

Real Moms - Finding alone time in very strange places.....

And with this, I tag Chichimama, Rebecca, Steph, Kate, and Jennifer. Have fun, ladies!

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Oh my gosh, I love this! So true! Just tonight I chose to clean the kitchen after dinner and unload and load the dishwasher rather than give Little Guy a bath. Sometimes I give M. the choice of which he'd rather do, but tonight, the kitchen and the quiet was all mine. (Baby was having a quiet moment so she stayed with me.)

    By Blogger Camille, at Monday, April 30, 2007 11:21:00 PM  

  • i'm totally with you girl. but you don't need to travel quite this far: i mowed our lawn *myself* last week.... and it looks gaw-juss, if i say so *myself* :o)

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:19:00 AM  

  • Love it!!! Most days, I will do *almost* anything for some alone time. One night this week, I'll be heading over to a friend's new place to help paint :)

    I'll have to have a little think on this before posting my own. Thanks for the tag.

    By Blogger Steph, at Tuesday, May 01, 2007 7:34:00 AM  

  • Even grocery shopping feels like a vacation if I can do it by myself! Here's hoping you can also find some quiet me-time at some point.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Tuesday, May 01, 2007 8:39:00 AM  

  • I remember when Carter was that age, thinking that labor didn't sound too bad- it might be a nice break.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, May 01, 2007 3:45:00 PM  

  • It's amazing the things that feel like "a break" once you have little ones ruling the roost!

    And thanks for the tag! This is a fun one - I'll have to put my thinking cap on. :)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Tuesday, May 01, 2007 5:13:00 PM  

  • hello gorgeous.. ok, confession time (cos it's been two weeks since you tagged me!!!!!)
    i do freak out with memes… i am having difficulty with people whom i tag: from the whole two memes i've ever done (lol), only one out of twelve people i tagged have done it... so... i may skip off too !!!!!!!!!!!
    :o) mwah X

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home