Come, Mommy

Friday, January 19, 2007

Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Sorry I haven't been around this week, guys. Since Liam doesn't nap anymore, I rarely get to blog until the evening hours, and these days I'm a total wreck by about 5:00 PM. I mentioned this exhaustion problem to my midwives, who suggested trying some B-complex and iron supplements. Also, my in-laws were in town this week, so I had somewhat of a respite from chasing a certain wee lad and his pal the Great Doggler about the premises. All in all, I'm feeling better tonight, and whether it's the supplements or the extra downtime I'm not sure, but whatever, I'll take it!

Thanks to all of you who stopped by to say hello this week - welcome to new commenters Squidgyboo, Blogwhore, and Steph - I promise to get around and visit your blogs this weekend.

Thanks also for the questions and ideas for posts. I really was feeling quite brain-dead there for a bit, but now that I've got some prompts, I feel the rumblings of a few functioning neurons. Some of you have asked for my current thoughts about Waldorf education, particularly as regards my kiddo. I still have a couple or three issues about the whole thing, but mostly I'm an ardent fan. Lately I've been trying to sort out in my mind how big these issues really are, and getting nowhere really fast. Kevin was commenting that I ought to commit some of these thoughts to paper in an attempt to sort them out, and I think that's a good idea. The only problem is that that's going to take some time most likely, so my plan is to write in bits and pieces and maybe I'll have something worth publishing in the next week or so.

Suzanne asked who my favorite authors are. That is actually a tough question as I'm a somewhat fickle reader in that I'll read a book and think "Wow, that was great - I really should check out more books by this author." Then another title, usually by some other author, attracts my attention, and I've forgotten the last author.

I think the last time I actually read a group of books by one author was probably elementary school when I was all about the Little House books. Or possibly the Great Brain series. That was a great elementary school read about a Gentile boy growing up in turn-of-the-last-century Utah, kind of Mark Twain on the banks of the Great Salt Lake-ish. My best friend Mary Beth hooked me on those books and I've never forgotten them.

I don't get the time for recreational reading like I used to, and I miss it. Most of my reading time the last couple of years has been tied up on a project that had me reading the majority of the books recommended on this site, plus others of my choosing, plus writing, and exercises. If you clicked on that link or you know me in real life then you know that I'm an ardent breastfeeding supporter. I've been involved with La Leche League since Liam was born, and have been working towards Leader accreditation for the last 18 months or so. After a lot of work and really, really trying to finish before the baby arrives, I finally finished and was accredited last month. I'm excited about being able to lead meetings and assist breastfeeding moms. I'm also excited about being able to read a book as a recreational endeavor, and if I manage to find a new favorite auther, Suzanne, I'll keep you posted!

Speaking of finished projects...lookee!



I finished the baby hat. The doll's head here is a bit small for the hat, so it's hard to get a good shot of it; I'll show it on a real baby in about, oh, 8 weeks or so...At any rate, this pattern is really easy, and I just made up the hat out of some leftover cotton worsted from a sweater I knitted a few years back. I'm inspired to try another hat if I can find the rest of my scrap yarn that I'm pretty sure we brought when we moved.

And on to unfinished projects...



This worn-out, exhausted face of innocence is brought to you by the makers of Miracle-Gro Potting Soil and a houseplant that I carelessly left within ferret range. Ferrets just love to take apart houseplants and tunnel through all that lovely, black soil. Much fun was had by the Plant Bandit and pals, and now that they've all fallen asleep for the night, I need to go clean up the mess without four-legged assistance. A mother's work is never done....

9 Comments:

  • Oh, that ferret picture is priceless!

    And the hat is fabulous, I need that pattern!

    Glad to hear you are feeling better, you are almost there!

    By Blogger chichimama, at Saturday, January 20, 2007 7:30:00 AM  

  • I LOVED the Great Brain books, and have managed to pick up a couple of them used recently. Such a great series. I'll have to put them on the shelf at LG-height, and maybe he'll pick them out for reading aloud.

    By Blogger Phantom Scribbler, at Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:43:00 AM  

  • Congrats on your accreditation -- that is SO cool!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, January 21, 2007 7:07:00 AM  

  • jealous? of me in wisconsin? r u kidding?

    i want nothing more than to move to the east coast. closer to the hustle and bustle. our outtings are so limited in rural america. basically, we got to wal-mart.

    By Blogger Jeni, at Sunday, January 21, 2007 1:21:00 PM  

  • Blogwhore - I must admit, there was no WalMart in the Upper Midwest when I lived there...and I wouldn't consider WalMart much of an outing myself. On the other hand, the hustle and bustle ain't what it's cracked up to be, either.

    Julie - Thank you!

    PS - I know, I was so excited to see them still in print. I hope Liam likes them someday. Or if not, I'll just have to re-read them myself.

    Chichimama - thanks! and I just sent you the pattern...check your e-mail.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Sunday, January 21, 2007 1:57:00 PM  

  • Have you read Great Brain recently though? I tried to read it to Carter and had to edit so extensively that I gave up! Lots of beating the crap out of each other. : ) It was one of my favorites. Can't wait till I have the urge to read him S.E. Hinton. . . . .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, January 22, 2007 3:08:00 PM  

  • Congratulations on the LLL accreditation! That's fantastic! It sounds like you have so much else going on as well. AND 32 weeks pg?? Whew. No wonder you're exhausted.

    But, whenever you get around to it, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Waldorf...

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Monday, January 22, 2007 3:58:00 PM  

  • I hope you're feeling more rested. I was so exhausted during my pregnancy. I wasn't liking that too much. I've always been high energy.
    Oh how cool being a LLL leader! I've gone to a few of their annual meetings. I used the online meetings when I was working out of the home. They were a life saver! LLL leaders are fabulous! It's so wonderful being around others who support breastfeeding. I thought about becoming adding "lactation consultant" to my list. I've read so much about the subject at the moment I just don't have the time. Perhaps when I slow down I can squeeze it in?

    How long did Liam nurse, or is he still nursing? My daughter still nurses for a few minutes before bedtime. She's three.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:42:00 PM  

  • Amy - thanks for the heads' up. I haven't read any of the Great Brain titles in years. Just recently I borrowed Curious George from the library, and was appalled at the way the poor monkey was treated. We ended up not reading the book, and I doubt we'll be allowing any of the rest of the series here anytime soon.

    Jennifer and Opal - Thanks :) I'm excited to finally have my accreditation!

    And Liam still nurses - mostly at night or when he's sick, and he turned 3 in November. I thought for a whie this summer he was weaning, but now I don't see him weaning anytime soon. Time will tell.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, January 25, 2007 7:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home