Come, Mommy

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Bits and Pieces of Post-Christmas Randomness

Santa was very kind to a certain young camel this year. He came down the chimney, left this crane (plus accessories), this parking garage, and then replaced the wire thingy before any birds could enter the house. Charley has remarked several times, "I love Santa!"

Santa also left some toys for Casey and a tin of raisins for the ferrets, so everyone is very happy this year.

********
It has been so warm this year that pansies and forsythia are in bloom here, I kid you not. I'd really love some snow, but there's no sign of that happening for at least the next two weeks. On the other hand, not having to struggle with hats, boots, and mittens is an unexpected plus.

********
I've come down with a cold. Kevin is off this week, so I'm getting lots of rest, but I also feel guilty since he's doing more than his fair share of kid duty.

I strongly suspect this cold has actually become a sinus infection, but since I'm not quite sure, I'm reluctant to start antibiotics. However, if they become needed, I wish my body would declare that sometime before my doctor's office closes for the holiday weekend, as trips to the urgent care center are really not my idea of a good time, ya know?

**********
See that ticker? Time's starting to speed by. I think when we put the Christmas stuff away this weekend, we'll bring down all of Liam's old baby stuff and start sorting through it. I know we need some baby hats and receiving blankets, but I'm not sure what else we need in terms of clothing and diapers. And we need to get a dresser for the baby at some point. Also, I need to call and order the medical supplies for the homebirth - everything is still on track for that!

Basically, I need to start getting organized around here.

*********
From the news: this makes me nervous. On all sorts of levels beyond some basic vegetarian "Ewww!" reaction.

Even if it turns out that animal products from cloned critters are safe to eat, I think having a large portion of the food chain sharing the same genes is inherently a bad idea. I'd say it's time for all of us to become vegan, except a lot of our essential plant crops are already genetically identical and thus highly vulnerable to disease (Irish Potato Famine, anyone?)

Yeah, I know, there's no easy answer on this topic.

********
Also from the news (because we're all about camels around here): an intoxicated camel! Woulda thunk it???

********
That it is for up-to-the-moment Menagerie House news. More to follow soon. Or in a day or two. Or when something of note happens around here.

5 Comments:

  • i'd send some snow your way if i could. :) we're certainly getting more than we can stand around here. it's coming down like mad as i type.

    sorry to hear abt the cold/sinus infection. hope you are feeling better soon. how are you feeling otherwise?

    i'm so excited about your upcoming homebirth. :) i can't remember - did you have liam at home?

    By Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess, at Friday, December 29, 2006 12:00:00 AM  

  • Glad it was a good holiday. And man, I wish I had known about that crane before it had sold out!!!

    By Blogger chichimama, at Friday, December 29, 2006 2:02:00 PM  

  • Happy post-Christmas! Glad it all went well. I can't believe you are at 29 weeks already!

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Saturday, December 30, 2006 8:42:00 PM  

  • Yeah, I was pretty grossed out too when I heard the cloned meat news. Ick.

    Anyway, Happy New Year, and I hope you're feeling well. It's been a pleasure catching up on your blog. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:12:00 PM  

  • Hi!
    I enjoyed your bits and pieces post. I know just what you mean about those sinus infections on a holiday weekend. Hope you're feeling better by now!
    Glad things are on schedule for the home birth. Happy New Year, to you!
    (I'm here again, via Julie's blog link.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home