Come, Mommy

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I've Been Tagged

I loved the game of "tag" as a kid, so when Kevin over at Blogschmog tagged me for this game, I had to play along.

Also? The rules are simple, which is good after all the complicated questions that have been flying around this place all weekend.

1. Find the nearest book.
2. Name the book and author.
3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page.
5. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
6. Tag three more people.

Ahem. Simple turns out to be ever so complicated in this case, as the only books within reach belong to Charley the Camel, and thus do not run longer than 25 pages or so. Furthermore, I doubt they have five sentences on a page. What to do?

Watch as I carefully bend the rules to fit the book. Here goes...

We have in hand the classic seasonal tale Santa Mouse by Michael Brown. The first three sentences after the fifth sentence of the book are as follows:

"Now, through the year, this little mouse
Had saved one special thing:
A piece of cheese!
The kind that makes an angel want to sing.
On Christmas Eve, he brushed his teeth,
And as he washed his paws,
He thought, "My goodness! No one ever gives
A gift to Santa Claus!"

This was one of my favorite stories as a kid, and it really is fun to read it to Liam, who has become a big fan of the lonely mouse who gives his one true treasure to Santa Claus. Also, the pictures are as sweet as I remember from childhood.

So there you have it - a recommendation for some kid lit next time you venture out to the library. As it's getting late and I need to get some sleep, I'm not going to tag anyone specifically. If you're interested in the game and would like to play, go for it - just let me know you're participating so I can follow along.

5 Comments:

  • We read this tonight at bedtime! The kids love it, too. I think the "Spanish" line is hilarious -- anything for a rhyme, apparently!

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:49:00 PM  

  • Warning: multiple comment coming:

    Kevin's a little concerned about your understanding of "tag," (I'm picturing the freeze tag in our back yard with, "so, if you want, I'll tag you. . . .") heh.

    Carter's quite concerned about Liam's head. "That looked like it hurt," and

    I read Liam's Christmas questions out loud to Kevin the other night, probably resulting in your tag : ) very hilarious.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, December 20, 2006 8:54:00 AM  

  • Suzanne - Apparently there is another book in the Santa Mouse series if you get tired of the original Santa Mouse, but Sean and Allie want more.

    Amy - about Kevin - ???? Has he never heard the phrase "tagged for a meme?" That's all I meant. Trust me, I'm too tired for the word "tag" to have any other meaning....

    About Carter - he is such a sweet little boy :) Liam's feeling better now, but he was headachey for several days after that spill.

    I'm glad you liked the Christmas questions - now Liam's got pressing concerns about all the inflatable lawn decorations in the neighborhood.I'll have to blog about those soon :)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:38:00 AM  

  • That sounds like a great story. I will take a look for it at the library but it might be hard to find down here downunder.

    Good on ya for being a responsible tag-ee

    By Blogger WendyAs, at Thursday, December 21, 2006 3:41:00 AM  

  • I've never even heard of this book! I'm going to have to check it out, it sounds fascinating. And I'll participate in this (sounds fun!), but I'll have to wait until after Christmas! :-)

    And in case I don't get back online for a bit, enjoy the holiday and have a happy New Year.

    By Blogger Dana, at Saturday, December 23, 2006 10:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home