Come, Mommy

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Bits and Pieces of Pre-Christmas Randomness

It seems our neighborhood has been invaded by those inflatable lawn decorations. I'm not super-fond of them myself, but I thought for sure they would appeal to the preschool set. Liam and I took a short walk this week, and it turns out he is a decided critic of this school of Christmas decor.

We passed a snow globe with a snowman inside, which caused Liam to ask, "Why is that snowman stuck inside that container?"

Then we passed a huge snowman whose bottom "snowball" was a clear globe with a Rudolph inside. "Mommy, why is Rudolph in that snowman's tummy? Did the snowman eat Rudolph? I think we should rescue Rudolph so he can go help Santa fly."

********
We saw Santa riding on a fire truck last night. Liam was more impressed with the light display the firefighters had rigged up on the truck than by the presence of Santa himself. I guess he's assuming that the firefighters are giving Santa a ride since we have no snow for Santa's sleigh this year.

********
(I'm including this anecdote for Rebecca and Chichimama, who both appreciate the traffic nightmare that is north Jersey.)

Due to a confluence of various factors, Liam and I found ourselves at the Short Hills Mall four days before Christmas. (I have never before in my life pulled out of my parking space to find a Jaguar, a Porsche, and another Jaguar waiting to take occupancy. Kevin says I should have auctioned the space off to the highest bidder.)

Traffic was snarled all around the mall and I couldn't find my way back south. I ended up who-knows-where fighting traffic all the way. I know for sure I went through West Orange at one point, but that's really all I know for sure. I finally decided just to turn east and keep driving no matter what, as eventually I had to find either the Hudson River or the New Jersey Turnpike. Either one would have been a useful landmark. Ultimately I found both the Turnpike and the Newark Airport, so I knew how to get home after that.

It occurred to me that my son may not be experiencing the rural upbringing of my Midwestern youth, but even so, central Jersey is pretty empty by north Jersey standards. Liam heard me mumbling about wishing I knew which road we were on, and ever the helpful soul, kept piping up "Look at the big traffic jam, Mommy. This is Route 1!"

No matter where we turned,we were on Route 1. If only it had truly been that simple. But it's good to know that now that we are back in central Jersey, I only have to fight traffic on Route 1.


********


Look, Ma, ferret cookies!

(Don't worry, we also made some of the requisite bell and star shapes as well.)

********


And finally, Merry Christmas from "Charley the Jingle Camel Who Loves Cookies." And from his parents also!

6 Comments:

  • Ah yes 'Jersey. In the mid 90's I dated a man that lived in South Jersey.

    Liam is something else. He reminds me so much of my daughter. They are both inquisitive. I imagine people are surprised that your son is so young based on his vocabulary. The first time someone told me that baout my daughter I was mildy surprised since I thought that was normal. Occasionally I think of what it would be like if those two were together and I laugh. I think my brain would need a vacation trying to keep up with those two. :-)

    Ya know! I never ever went out to the store during the Christmas holidays. This was my first year can you believe I was at the store this morning buying my little one some C Christmas gifts. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, December 24, 2006 8:05:00 PM  

  • Merry Christmas!

    And you were at Short Hills and didn't call??? Shame on you! :-) Was it all you ever thought a mall should be?

    By Blogger chichimama, at Sunday, December 24, 2006 10:18:00 PM  

  • I have made that exact same cannot-seem-to-get-south error when leaving the Short Hills Mall more times than I care to confess. I *still* have a bit of trouble exiting that mall correctly unless I park in the exact same place each time (fortunately, few Jaguar or Porsche owners have use for my coveted Macy's spot!). Thanks for the bit of NJ nostalgia... :)

    Merry Christmas!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at Wednesday, December 27, 2006 9:45:00 AM  

  • Adorable! Hope he isn't turning into a sceptical Santa believer to early. We don't have a Chiminey this year so it has been a challenge to explain how santa comes in the house. The answer is "Santa is Magic"

    By Blogger WendyAs, at Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:52:00 AM  

  • Opal- Those two together would definitely be a hoot! I'd love to hear their discussions of ferrets :)

    Chichimama - It was the cheapest mall trip I've ever had - there aren't too many stores there I can even afford to step into. lol I would have called if we'd had more time - we had lunch with Kevin at work, and I was trying to get out before rush hour.

    Rebecca - Ya know, there's an upscale mall kind of like Short Hills near us, and I usually head for Macy's there, too. I should have done that at Short Hills! Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets confused up there.

    Wendy - Have you tried a Santa key? You make a fancy key out of cardboard or foam and decorate it. Leave it outside the door for Santa on Christmas Eve, and it magically unlocks the front door for him ;-)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, December 28, 2006 7:52:00 PM  

  • Those ferret cookies are so creative!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, January 02, 2007 5:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home