Come, Mommy

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

P. B. Bear, King of "Why"



Oh sure, that little boy looks all sweet and innocent, but I assure you he is capable of driving his Mommy absolutely insane with the sheer number of questions he can generate in one short car ride (and these are only a few of his questions today):

1. "Why do we pull over for fire trucks?"
2. "Why are dalmations spotted?"
3. "Why are dalmations speckled?"
4. "Why are dalmations speckled and spotted?"
5. "Why are fire trucks in such a hurry?"
6. "Why are fire trucks so loud?"
7. "Why are fires dangerous?"
8. "Why do police cars follow fire trucks?"
9. "Why are firemen always washing their trucks?"
10. "Why are there fire hydrants on every street?"
11. "Why can't we open the hydrants?"
12. "Why do the rescue units follow the fire trucks?"
13. "Why do fire trucks have red flashy lights?"
14. "Why do police cars have blue flashy lights?"
15. "Why do tow trucks have yellow flashy lights?"
16. "Why doesn't our car have flashy lights?"
17. "Why do fire trucks have tall ladders?"
18. "Why do firemen wear hats?"
19. "Why do firemen wear air tanks?"
20. "Why aren't you answering me anymore, Mommy?"

"Because, son, I'm marveling at the construction of the maternal brain. I'm thinking that it's the most amazing thing in the world that I can love you more every day, yet at the same time desperately want to yell, 'Be Quiet! My kingdom for five minutes of quiet!' You see?"

21. "I love you, too, Mommy. Why do you have a material brain?"

5 Comments:

  • Wow -- did you answer all those questions? You are a patient woman indeed. I love the curiosity that sparks such questions, but they get overwhelming after a while.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Thursday, October 19, 2006 8:28:00 AM  

  • LOL! My Tess is 3.5 and we are still in the "Why?" stage. I'm sure she'll stop the whys just as her younger brother starts in...

    ACK! EEK! Why, why, why?! ;)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Thursday, October 19, 2006 4:50:00 PM  

  • yep. I completely get the "My kingdom for five minutes of quiet!" this morning I told the boys, screaming only slightly louder than the Beagle's baying, that any minute, my head was actually going to explode, and they were going to have a lot of brain cleanup on their hands.
    I guess I should add that to my new, "bad mommy" category on the blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, October 20, 2006 4:12:00 PM  

  • This too is familiar. Iain, a month shy of 5, has calmed down on the "why's". At his peak, I admit I answered many a "why" with, "what do *you* think honey?" and then finally, "Honey, I. Just. Don't. Know." :-) Enjoy this now, as I'm sure, like me, you'll someday feel nostalgic for those old days . . .

    By Blogger Dana, at Friday, October 20, 2006 10:17:00 PM  

  • My brother used to do that. (Small genius children can be awfully annoying.) And I was accosted last week at the park by a why-asker who attatched himself to me. (I almost sent him back to his parents but noticed how relieved the looked that he wasn't running over to pester them and took pity.)

    I said, "I need to take care of my baby, I'll be back in a second."
    "Why do you have to take care of the baby?"
    "Because that's what mommies and daddies do."
    "What is my daddy doing?"
    *glances over*
    "He's talking to your mommy and playing with your baby."
    "Why?"
    "Because he's a daddy, that's his job."
    "Why do mommies and daddies take care of babies?"
    "Because they love them."
    "Why?"
    "Because they're their babies, and even when they get bigger they still love them because those will always be their babies."
    "But why do they love them?"
    "Because when God made mommies and daddies, he put love in them so they would love their babies."
    "Oh."

    That seemed to satisfy him until he thought of the next question...

    By Blogger Anne/kq, at Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home