Come, Mommy

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Wish Us Luck, Full-Length Version

Zeph has a dentist appointment at noon today. He doesn't want to go.

Why?

"Mommy, I just want to stay at home. I don't want to have dents put into me."

Excuse me while I attempt to explain the vagaries of the English language at a level appropriate for 2-year-olds....

10:30 Update: Zeph has agreed to come to the dentist, "but Zeph is going to keep his mouth shut tight."

8:30 PM Update: Zeph survived the dentist. It took three toys and two toothbrushes and much cajoling, but he did in fact open his mouth for a few seconds at a time. Thankfully we don't have to return for another six months.

Conversation on the way home:

Zeph: "Why do we go to the dentist?"

Me: "To get our teeth cleaned."

Zeph: "Why do our teeth get dirty?"

Me: "Because food and stuff gets stuck in there over time."

Zeph: "Why do we eat food?"

Me: "Because we get hungry."

Zeph: "Why do we get hungry?"

Me: "Hey, Zeph, why do you ask 'why' so much?"

Zeph: "Because I tend to ask 'why' a lot. Why do I ask 'why'?"

Me (head spinning, convinced I will never survive the "why" phase): "I have no idea, son. That's why I asked you in the first place. Could you ask a question that doesn't start with 'why'?"

Zeph: "No. Why are we stopped?"

Me: "Because we're at a red light."

Zeph: "Why can't we go through the red light?"

Me: "Because there's a rule that says we have to stop at red lights."

Zeph: "Why is there that rule?"

Me (giving up completely): "I have no idea, honey."

Zeph: "Well, I wanna see the rule. Where is it?"

My head hurts.

7 Comments:

  • Those dents, they are so hard to get pounded out!

    Hope it goes well today.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Tuesday, October 03, 2006 8:33:00 AM  

  • I feel his pain -- I hate having dents put into me too! (Serious dental phobia here and I'm trying so hard NOT to pass it along...*sigh*...)

    Good luck Zeph!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:51:00 AM  

  • A lot of our converstions end in "I don't really know, honey." And that's okay, I've decided.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:00:00 PM  

  • Wait until you teach him "we'll just have to agree to disagree." That one's fun : ) Glad your head stayed on. I'm sure it was spinning! Why, Why, Why?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:11:00 PM  

  • My favorite come backs is "Why do you think?" Usually that stops C for at least a few minutes while he expounds on whty we stop at a red light while green trucks go through, but not blue trucks.

    Glad the dentist went well.

    By Blogger chichimama, at Wednesday, October 04, 2006 7:28:00 AM  

  • Ahh, Liesl, after 3 years, we're still in this phase. And that whole "Why do I ask why?" made me LOL! That is something I've heard come out of Iain's mouth!

    Many a time I've resorted to a "I don't know." Most of the time I say, "What do you think?" Which inevitably sets off another round of whys.

    By Blogger Dana, at Thursday, October 05, 2006 8:27:00 AM  

  • My daughter is still in this stage. I console myself by saying she's brilliant so of course she wants to know everything. ;) You know I was the same way at that age. I can still remember trailing behind my parents, mainly my father, asking questions. My father nicknamed me "My little question box"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, October 22, 2006 3:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home