Come, Mommy

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Seemingly Innocent Lunchtime Conversation

Gran-Gran, Zeph, and I were eating at a restaurant for lunch today. The waitress brought Zeph a dish of ice cream - one big scoop and one little scoop:

Zeph: "Look! A Mommy ice cream and a Baby ice cream!"

He spent a moment in deep thought...

Zeph: "The Daddy ice cream must have gone to work."

Gran-Gran: "What does the Daddy ice cream do at work?"

Zeph: "Eh, he chit-chats. Then he comes home and cuts the grass."

****************************************************

I always swore my family would not be conventional. We would question mainstream culture. We would be intellectuals. We would support the local food co-op. We would never, ever vote Republican.

These days? We've got the Waldorf schooling, the cloth diapers, the nursing toddler, and the vegetarianism. I've never voted Republican, and I doubt my husband has either.

However, we've got a house in suburban New Jersey. With a freshly-mown lawn. There is no food co-op. We just ate lunch at Ruby Tuesday's. Where my son ate French fries, most likely laced with hydrogenated oils. We shopped at the mall this morning.

The mighty have fallen. In fact, the mighty are looking more and more mainstream every day.

Whatever happened to all those idealistic dreams of my youth? When everything seemed so clear and straightforward? Not that I honestly have anything of a serious nature to complain about (other than our President and his henchmen, and the fact that the rest of the world is falling apart, natch), but gosh, sometimes it's hard to reconcile where we are with where I thought we'd be.

I guess along with adulthood comes practice in the fine arts of compromise and pragmatism.

Please excuse me whilst I go make a donation to the first liberal cause that convinces me the world can be saved.....

5 Comments:

  • You and me both, girlfriend. ;)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Wednesday, September 20, 2006 4:09:00 PM  

  • babe
    funny, in our teens, hubby and i *swore* that we'd *never* have a three bedroom, white picket fence lifestyle.
    but now we do. well kinda do.
    he works and i stay at home and drink coffee and surf blogs. and homeschool. but we do have two cars.
    and i like it.
    but i do know what ya mean about selling out to middle-class-ism....
    hmmmm, *kate activates thought waves*

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Friday, September 22, 2006 3:56:00 AM  

  • OMG, that conversation over the ice cream is hilarious. Iain thinks I play on the computer all day at work. Well, he's partly right!

    And about the other. Believe me, I'm there. We swore we'd never have a minivan. Sigh. But I have no worries that you're gonna snap and vote Republican anytime soon. And I won't vote Conservative. Is it a pact?

    By Blogger Dana, at Friday, September 22, 2006 8:19:00 AM  

  • Jennifer - I haven't found that cause yet, but if I do, I'll post it here!

    Kate - When we bought this house, we came down to deciding between this one and a similar one that did have the fabled white picket fence. We got the one without the picket fence ;-)

    Dana - You've got yourself a deal. Oh, and when I wrote this post, I was thinking about an issue Kevin and I are discussing. He wants to get a bigger vehicle with another kiddo on the way. I'm still digging in my heels, mostly because, well, we're one minivan/SUV purchase away from mainstream...

    By Blogger Liesl, at Sunday, September 24, 2006 2:42:00 PM  

  • Never voted republican?? Come, mommy, come to the Dark Side.

    Karl Rove (aka M)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home