Come, Mommy

Saturday, September 09, 2006

One for the Baby Book

I haven't recovered much energy yet, so another choppy Weekend Roundup will have to suffice for now...

For the Baby Book:

Despite my funked-out, I-am-the-world's-worst-Mommy approach to life this week, my son remains convinced that I'm doing OK. We were in the yard yesterday when Zeph ran up to me, hugged me, and said, "I love you Mommy. Zeph loves Mommy!" He gave me a big slobbery kiss - "Muah!" - and ran off to inform Kevin, "I love you, Daddy!"

That is the first time Liam has ever told either one of us he loves us. Not that we thought otherwise, but boy, that sentence is a sweet thing to hear.

From the Incidental Annoying Accidents Department:

I already vented at Phantom's Place (and won chocolate - thank you, Phantom!!), but for the record, I'll repeat the story here...

Liam managed to trip over Casey. In the process of falling to the ground, he whacked me across the face with a T-ball bat. My nose swelled up. And it hurt. Thank goodness it wasn't a real baseball bat. That would likely have hurt more. And produced more damage to my face.

In the end I discovered that not only did a swollen nose reduce my ability to smell the still-stinky skunk-chasing hound, the whole incident provided great amusement to two of the township's bike cops. Who, according to neighbors, watched the whole spectacle, laughed, and biked off. I do what I can to lighten the burden of New Jersey's finest. So it wasn't all bad.

For Child #2's Baby Book:

I had my first ultrasound this week. There is indeed a baby in there, and #2 is looking very healthy. All is good in the baby-building arena. I guess we should start thinking up some names, because "Child #2" seems a bit awkward for the birth certificate. Not to mention how hard it would be to make it fit into those circles on the SAT form.

From The Department of Ferret Health:

We took miss Penny in to have her seizure history evaluated, and came up with good news. We were worrying that she had developed insulinoma since that is the leading cause (by far) of seizures in ferrets. However, it seems that she seized because the respiratory infection she was fighting at the time caused her to stop eating, thus leading to the hypoglycemia that caused the seizure. We have no evidence of insulinoma. This is wonderful news!

From the Strange and Bizarre Things We Do For Our Pets Department:

I took Casey for a walk tonight. He unwisely elected to pee on a rose bush, and got certain delicate areas quite entangled in the thorns. I managed to get him out of the rosebush, hoping all the while that our bike cops were off-duty, and took him home. I then spent the next twenty minutes removing thorns from his nether regions, and applying pressure with a gauze pad to staunch the bleeding. Casey is fine now. Also? If the neighbors didn't think we were an odd family before, they sure do now.

And a Question:

My sinus infection is pretty much over. I'm into my second trimester. I'm still really tired. Anybody got any helpful advice/explanations? Or, failing that, any energy reserves I could tap?

All input appreciated...

6 Comments:

  • Thanks for the updates. Can you put the Baby No. 2 count-down calendar back on your blog? - I enjoy watching it. Hang in there, hopefully fall, cooler weather and the second trimester will help with your energy level.
    Gran-Gran

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, September 10, 2006 8:41:00 PM  

  • Aww that was sweet. You got to love those firsts.
    If I remember correctly a lot of development is going on about this time so that would explain the exhaustion.
    During my second trimester I was usually in bed by 6:00 or 7:00 at night. I fought it for about a month. I was determined to stay up until my regular time, lol. This was unheard of for me since I usually stay up late.
    I imagine with a toddler that is out of the question.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:51:00 PM  

  • Hi Mom - Sure thing, just look up there between the header and the body.

    Raw Vegan Momma - You've triggered a memory for me. You're right, there is a lot of development right now, and also, the placenta isn't fully functional for another six weeks or so, so maybe things will improve in a few weeks. And lol, I need to convince Liam to go to bed right after dinner at 7:00. Sounds heavenly :)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:58:00 PM  

  • you know, i remember being dog-tired for the whole nine months, for every one of my pregnancies.
    this is your time for snowing in, cutting yourself a lot of slack, and growing a healthy baby...
    look after yourself chick :o)

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Sunday, September 10, 2006 11:49:00 PM  

  • I'm glad everything is going well, swollen noses, skunk encounters, rose bushes, and tiredness notwithstanding!

    The first time my son said "I love you" my heart melted all over the floor -- it's pretty gratifying, isn't it?

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Monday, September 11, 2006 12:24:00 PM  

  • Glad the ultrasound went well.

    And those first I love yous are just wonderful!

    By Blogger chichimama, at Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home