Come, Mommy

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Why Are the Ferret Gods Angry With Me??

They definitely are, and I'm not sure why. Houdini came down with a respiratory infection earlier this week, which necessitated a vet trip. We got her on some antibiotics, and she's doing well. Then Liam and I took the three new guys down for their first vet check-up yesterday. They were all sneezing, too, so I knew we'd need to treat them for the same infection, but I was sure they'd get a clean bill of health otherwise. Or, not.

Halfway to the office, Penny started seizing. We got her to the vet and stabilized, but the cause of the seizure is not clear at this time. She was dehydrated, and her liver enzymes are elevated. The hope is that with this infection she got run down and wasn't eating, leading to hypoglycemia, which led to the seizure. The truth may not be that simple, but time will tell. This morning she is eating and playing, so I'm really hoping we don't have another major medical enigma with a ferret right now.

But, (and there's always a "but", right?), Stormy managed to hurt herself yesterday. I was giving her her antibiotic last night, and saw that she somehow broke off one of her upper canines right at the gumline, and her mouth looks so sore. Just the thought of what that might feel like makes me shudder. I'm not sure if she fell, or how exactly she broke her tooth, but I'll be taking her to the vet later this morning. I suspect the root that is remaining in the gum will have to be extracted.

We have had such a run of bad luck with ferret health this summer that I'm wondering what I did to anger the powers that be in the ferret world. Also? I'm wondering how much more my nerves can take. Anyone got any extra calming vibes, or helpful advice?

1 Comments:

  • Oh the poor fuzzies! I'm sending them healing vibes.
    You know when I first adopted my two fuzzies they had the case of the sniffles too. I was adding ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their water so it eliminated that problem. I used about 1 tbsp. It's an old folk rememdy that has been used for many purposes a few being colds and infections.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 14, 2006 12:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home