Come, Mommy

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Yup, We Got News




See that there ticker thingy? I'm generally not a big fan of them since they always seem a little cutesy to me, BUT, I saw this one that has ferret footprints on it, so I changed my mind. Besides, my ferrets have a ball like that, and it's one of their favorite toys. I have to admit my all time favorite use of a ticker was a few months ago when I saw that someone (I think it was Jennifer although I don't remember for sure) used one to count down the remaining days of the Bush administration. That was true stroke of genius. I wish I'd though of it myself. Hmph.

In this case, however, I'm using the ticker for its traditional purpose. I've been trying to come up with a deep and meaningful post, but I'm just.so.tired. that the desired writing obviously isn't coming anytime soon. Some friends already know the news, and anyone who sees me in person is going to be able to figure this out very soon. Also, my son knows:

Zeph: "I'm so 'cited!!"

Me: "Hmmm? Are you excited about our ferrets?"

Zeph: "No!"

Me: "Are you excited about the trucks in the street?"

Zeph: "NO!"

Me: "What are you excited about?"

Zeph: "I'm going to have a baby!"

And with that he sat down, pulled up his shirt, and pretended to nurse a toy hippo.

So, if you've been noticing a scatterbrained nature to my posts recently, and if you've noticed that I'm not posting with the frequency I used to, just bear with me. I'm feeling the full drag of the first trimester tiredness, and I'm hoping that in a couple of weeks I'll tap into that fabled reservoir of energy in the second trimester. Or failing that, perhaps Zeph will oblige me by returning to afternoon napping. Or pigs will fly. Or something.

They say the second child doesn't get the attention the first did. I'm seeing how this happens already. I'm not shopping for the "essential" baby gear. I did that the first time, and found out all I really need at first are a safe car seat, diapers, clothes, and a sling. Those we've got already. I'm not worrying about eating exactly right. I'm just concerned with eating nutritiously, and that's no different than any other day. I'm not worrying so much about there being something wrong with the baby this time around. I've learned that pregnancy is something our bodies are meant to do, and as long as we don't do stupid stuff, things generally work out in the end. Besides, I'm chasing a toddler all day. I don't have time to obsess. Nor do I have the energy. Which is probably for the best, since worrying isn't good for anyone, anyway.

I'm also finding that second children give us opportunities we might not have grabbed the first time around. Since Liam was born, the team of lovely, crunchy OB's who attended my first pregnancy have left the state due to drastic increases in malpractice insurance costs over the last few years. This is not a good situation for the state as a whole, but it does present me with the opportunity to have a homebirth with midwives. (Even really crunchy OB's don't do homebirths around here, as far as I know.) I really hope this is what happens in the end, because truly, it is kind of silly that bringing another member of the family into the world should involve breaking up a family, even for a few days.

And that is what's up here. It's going to be an exciting few months here at the Menagerie House. We've got chaos to spare on any given day, so we can definitely handle a bit more.

11 Comments:

  • Congratulations!
    A home birth! You Rock!
    I gave birth to my daughter in a free-standing birth center. I was surrounded by people who saw me through my entire preganancy. If I ever have another child, barring any unforeseen complications, it will be a homebirth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:11:00 PM  

  • Oh, mazel tov on the news! And I love that Liam is already working on his nursing skills.

    By Blogger Phantom Scribbler, at Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:03:00 PM  

  • What happy news! Congrautlations! Let the countdown begin!

    (Though how sad that your ticker will be expired before mine (the Bush one) will be...LOL!)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Sunday, August 20, 2006 1:23:00 PM  

  • What wonderful news!
    I never had any interest in homebirths myself, but I do treasure my night alone in the hospital with my second baby. Her birth was easy so I was in good shape and I didn't have a roommate. She slept in my bed and I swear she smiled at me when she was only 12 hours old. Not a gas grimace but a genuine smile. The next afternoon we returned home to the chaos of in-laws staying to help and big sister who was all of 18 months at the time. And you think you feel tired now!

    By Blogger Kathleen, at Monday, August 21, 2006 4:22:00 AM  

  • Now that you've "announced" the exciting news officially I'll have to think really hard to find someone we might have forgotten to tell - yes, we've even alerted our Australian friends. Love and congratulations to the three of you plus the new one that we'll meet in 206 days-more or less.
    Gran-Gran and Pop-Pop

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, August 21, 2006 10:05:00 AM  

  • I love the ticker! I had one with A, I found it kind of fun.

    By Blogger chichimama, at Monday, August 21, 2006 6:40:00 PM  

  • wowee zowee !!!!!
    :o) huge congrat's to you chick!!

    i had three "just made it to the hospital" births and two lovely relaxed home births. well, the last baby was in such a hurry to come out (55 mins from go to woah) that my friend and my hubby both caught him... we were all kinda stunned..
    that kid has always been the one calling the shots ;o)
    all the best to ya.. enjoy the preggy-moments xx

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:54:00 PM  

  • I had a ferret once, but he bit me quite a bit so I sold him to another family. I sure hope "Damien" is happy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:56:00 PM  

  • Congrats! And, I just found your blog- not sure how I've missed it, so I added you to our blogroll!!

    Amy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:25:00 PM  

  • Krissy and Amy - Welcome!!

    And Everyone - Thank you for all the warm wishes and the support :)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:40:00 PM  

  • OMG!!! How did I miss this? Congrats, congrats, congrats. I had a midwife for my son's birth and would never go back. (Not that we're having any more kids) Enjoy!

    By Blogger Dana, at Monday, September 04, 2006 12:23:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home