Come, Mommy

Thursday, September 14, 2006

When Imaginary Worlds Collide

I love the rich imaginary lives of young children. Liam, as you know, refers to himself as "Zeph." Zeph is a small brown train-riding donkey who eats macaroni and cheese and banana bread. Liam's friend "I" is a fan of the Bob the Builder series. "I" refers to himself as "Bob" while he gives his friends and family members names of other characters from the series. This is all fun to listen to until you have something like the conflict of this morning's playdate:

"I": "Liam is Wendy."

Liam: "I aren't Wendy. I'm Zeph."

"I": "Yes, you are Wendy!"

Liam: "No, I aren't!! I'm ZEPH!!!"

"I": "I'm Bob and Liam is Wendy!"

Liam (bursting into tears): "I aren't! I aren't Wendy! I'm Zeph!"

All afternoon Liam kept asking me, "I'm still Zeph?? I aren't Wendy??" I'm wondering what the conversation was like over at "I"'s house...

3 Comments:

  • I can fill you in. Over here, I made the mistake of telling Eric and my mom about the Wendy/Zeph battle. Isaac overheard both times, and promptly resumed the argument, despite Liam's absence. There's nothing like a tear-filled debate by yourself, I guess...

    By Blogger Lisa, at Thursday, September 14, 2006 11:08:00 PM  

  • *kate's head spins*
    sounds rather complicated :o)
    he'll be one of those multi-tasking male geniuses who can fix a computer while simultaneously quoting shakepeare and working out the area of an isoceles triangle...

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Friday, September 15, 2006 1:26:00 AM  

  • Kate - It was complicated. Lisa and I were staring at each other wondering exactly how one is supposed to handle these sorts of disagreements...

    Lisa - Welcome! It's nice to see you here as well as in real life :)

    Oh my, poor Isaac Bob. This is obviously of great importance to both boys...I'm thinking we may hear this argument again this week...

    By Blogger Liesl, at Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home