Come, Mommy

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Better Late Than Never

I'm only 48 hours late with this, but I'm so behind with so much these days that honestly, I'm almost on time! Zeph and I had the distinct pleasure of hosting a playdate attended by Chichimama, Suzanne, and their kids on Thursday. In one house we had five kids (all under the age of five), three moms, and a fun time. Can you believe it? The kids played really well together, and there was actual adult conversation to be had, which is really a treat in the late afternoon around these parts.

We had thought about walking up to the farm for apples, but the kids immersed themselves in play so quickly that we decided to stay put, especially with the threat of thunderstorms hanging in the air. And I'm certainly not about to turn down the opportunity to sit still and engage in conversation for a couple of hours...

I wasn't having one of my best days - sleep just didn't happen the night before, so I was particularly tired. I kept thinking to myself, "What on Earth am I going to do when I actually have two kids? I've only got one and I can't focus on conversation, and Chichimama and Suzanne have two apiece and are conversing intelligently. I am so doomed!" Fortunately for me, these two ladies make parenting look easy. I know that in fact parenting is not at all for the faint of heart, it's the toughest job you'll ever love, and all that, but watching them talk and simultaneously handle kids gave me some faith that perhaps I'll be up to the challenge.

At any rate, we had a great time, and I hope we get the chance to do this again soon. So does my son. As the cars drove away, Zeph stood in the front yard yelling, "Bye-bye! Thanks for coming and sharing your fun with me!"

Indeed!

2 Comments:

  • Ooh, I'm sorry I missed Liam's (I mean Zeph's) farewell!

    Thanks so much for hosting us. We had a great time. Don't worry, you will quickly adapt to two kids, and one day you'll be with just one of them and think "wow, this is kind of ... boring!" (Or maybe that's just me...)

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:31:00 PM  

  • We had a grand time, and I had n idea you were tired! I thought I was out of it as well...

    So sorry I missed Zeph's farwell, how cute!

    And you will take two kids in stride. I can't think of a parent better suited to it!

    By Blogger chichimama, at Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home