Come, Mommy

Monday, October 23, 2006

Dang Pregnancy Hormones

The last few weeks I've been reminded of the emotional whiplash that goes on with pregnancy. Those hormones do a real number on me, and I'd conveniently managed to forget about it since I was pregnant with Liam. When I'm happy, I'm really happy, when I'm tired, I'm exhausted, and when I'm not in a good mood, look out world. I've also been fighting with a bit of a funk recently, so that hasn't been helping either.

The other night I was angry with Kevin. I started digging into him about something, and then he asked, "What are you so mad about?" And darn it if I couldn't remember. I don't get mad that easily, but this time I was really mad. Then the whole situation just seemed overwhelmingly unfair - I'm busy being all mad, and get so busy actually being mad that I can't remember why I'm mad. Those pregnancy hormones have a strange sense of humor. And, no, I still have no idea what was upsetting me.

This morning just to get out of the rut I've been in, I offered to take Liam to the local children's museum. He of course, was thrilled, and was talking about the exhibits he'd play with when we got there. Alas, we arove to find that I'd forgotten one crucial fact. The museum is closed on Mondays. I was really upset. And feeling quite stupid. Pregnancy hormones are fatal to memory, and I'd managed to forget that aspect of things as well.

Since we were in her town, I thought for a moment of calling Suzanne and asking if she and the kids were up for playdate. But then I remembered she's in Rome. So I asked Liam if he'd like to find a park and play and then go out to lunch. That was a winning idea with him, until after 20 minutes of driving around a town I barely know I failed to find a park. I pulled in at a farm thinking he'd like to do some pumpkin picking, but when I looked in the mirror, his eyes were brimming and his lower jaw was quivering. "Mommy, I actually in fact just want to go home," he said. So we did. And had a fine afternoon playing with his airplanes, the frustrations of the morning a distant memory.

So the morning stunk, while the afternoon and evening were just fine. Not that I'm questioning the just fine part, but now I'm really wondering what emotions will present themselves tomorrow.

10 Comments:

  • Oh my don't remind me! There were times when I was a nightmare to be around in my pregnancy days. It really bothered me since I had no idea why I was so upset.
    Liam has a great mommy! Even when she's been taken over by those dreaded preggo hormones she still thinks of her son.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 24, 2006 1:27:00 AM  

  • Ulgh. I am so sorry. Pregnancy hormones are the worst. Make sure to take time for yourself...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 24, 2006 7:43:00 AM  

  • Pregnancy sucks your brain, energy and balance, at least it did for me. I remember actually falling asleep while reading (to my older son) in the middle of the afternoon. Boy did I not appreciate that kidfree pregnancy, with the freedom to leave work early and nap, nap, nap, until I was on kiddo number two.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, October 24, 2006 12:19:00 PM  

  • It's so much harder the second time around, too, because you have that first little one around and you so badly want to have the energy and patience...and then there is the guilt when it's just not there. Go easy on yourself. LOTS of afternoons at home playing airplanes (or playing "Tuck mommy in for a nap!") would be just fine, I'm sure.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:22:00 PM  

  • It could be worse. You could be living in a foreign country where you know NO ONE and you can hardly breathe, much less move because baby #2 is so huge. phew. Glad that's over with.

    Kiss a ferret. That usually helps me when I'm having a hormonally induced bad day.

    By Blogger kimono hime, at Thursday, October 26, 2006 1:15:00 AM  

  • Thanks, everyone, I'm glad to know this isn't some strange problem known only to my body...

    And Kimono Hime - I've kissed five ferrets several times apiece. It does indeed help :)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, October 26, 2006 8:28:00 PM  

  • Congratulations! I didn't realize you were pregnant! Sorry about the sucky morning.

    By Blogger Piece of Work, at Thursday, October 26, 2006 11:23:00 PM  

  • Sorry we weren't home on Monday! I hope things are a little better now, even with the pregnancy hormones and new molars.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Friday, October 27, 2006 7:23:00 AM  

  • Yay ferrets! The cure-all for nearly everything.

    They cure my dirty laundry, too. If we leave socks on the floor or a bra in reach, they will dispatch it with gusto and I never have to wash it again.

    By Blogger kimono hime, at Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:58:00 PM  

  • Awww. I hate hormones of all kinds, but pregnancy is awful-est because it NEVER STOPS for 9 or 10 months! I feel ya. But I'm glad your little man was grown up enough to handle it so well.

    By Blogger Anne/kq, at Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home