Come, Mommy

Monday, May 08, 2006

I'm In The Market for A Deep Hole In The Ground

And to think just a couple of weeks back I was all happy because my son had reached the complete sentence stage of toddlerhood. Yeah, that's me, the red-faced mom hiding over here in the corner.

You see, there's a certain mom in the parent-child class that Liam and I attend. I don't get along with her for a variety of reasons. Her daughter, hhmmm, I'll call her Rosie, is a sweetheart. Rosie's mom, however, sets my teeth on edge, and I've begun talking, well, whining, really, about her so much that last week Kevin was concerned I might need therapy if Rosie and Liam end up in the same class next year.

Apparently small ears have picked up on my whining, for after Rosie and her mom arrived at school this morning, Liam ran up to the teacher and announced in his best outside voice, "My Mommy doesn't like Rosie's mommy." And then he ran off to play.

Fortunately, Rosie's mom didn't actually hear the comment, and I'm not all sure how that small miracle occurred since Liam's outside voice is audible in Center City. During outside play time, Liam's teacher beckoned to me. She was quite civil about the whole affair, saying that children will repeat what they hear, and perhaps Kevin and I should discontinue adult conversations when children are nearby. She also mentioned that each of her kids had done something similar at about the same age, so clearly I'm not the first parent to be this embarassed.

Still, if y'all will excuse me, I'm going off to search for large crevasse in which to hide. I'm considering staying there until the end of the school year.

8 Comments:

  • Haven't exactly been there yet - repeating things about people, but my little one likes to repeat my favorite curse words. Gotta keep a lid on that!

    By Blogger Stacy, at Monday, May 08, 2006 9:54:00 PM  

  • Oh my. She offers good advice, unless you have no time in which children are not nearby, like we do here in the House of the Needs Nine Hours of Sleep Preschooler. We just push our luck and hope it holds.

    My sympathies until the end of the school year!

    By Blogger Phantom Scribbler, at Monday, May 08, 2006 10:10:00 PM  

  • Oh, my - chalk it up to experience! I'll try to keep a straight face for your sake.
    Love, always, Gran-Gran

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Monday, May 08, 2006 11:40:00 PM  

  • OH, I am so sorry. We've avoided this one so far, but it is only a matter of time I am sure....

    By Blogger chichimama, at Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:35:00 AM  

  • Whoops! This is the reason we spell a lot...though now that our nearly 6 year old can spell a bit, we're forced to speak in Spanish. And we know very little Spanish, so there's lots of "muy bien" and "no muy bien" at our house!

    ps. Thanks for the giggle!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Tuesday, May 09, 2006 1:28:00 PM  

  • I think Blogger ate my comment from yesterday. And now I don't remember what I said! It was supportive, though, if that's any consolation!

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:24:00 AM  

  • Thanks to everyone :) This is a lesson I hope to take to the grave.

    As my Grandmother used to say, "Don't say anything about someone if you can't say something good." Or, as my Grandma used to say, "If you can't say something nice, sit by me."

    Wise women, they were :)(

    By Blogger Liesl, at Wednesday, May 10, 2006 7:18:00 PM  

  • Oh, lord. That is hilarious, if you'll forgive me. Sorry! Now I'm wondering if that has happened to me and the teachers are just too kind to tell me.

    Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Piece of Work, at Friday, May 12, 2006 11:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home