Come, Mommy

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It's A Tough Job Being 2, But By Golly, Someone's Gotta Do It!

It was yet another day of tempers and tantrums here at the Menagerie House today. Oh, and Liam was up every hour on the hour last night. Toys were thrown, the word "NO" was used frequently by everyone today, and naptime was way.too.short.

But! There is some good news! I think I have figured out at least part of the reason for Liam's crankiness. After really watching him yesterday and today, it became obvious to me that he's really, really mad at how many things he can't do. He can't put his socks on by himself. He can't feed the fish by himself. He can't make a sandwich by himself. He can't open the fridge by himself. He knows how to do all of these things, but he's too short, or too little, or too uncoordinated, to actually do them. Life's awfully darn hard for a guy who has a clear vision of how things should play out, but who can't physically do many of those things.

This afternoon, Liam became quite angry with me when he discovered that I had taken his sippy cup of soy milk downstairs. He declared he was going to take it upstairs. Alone. Bear in mind he's too small to climb the stairs while holding something; he has to put his hands on the stairs to climb. He made it up one stair and collapsed in tears.

Liam: "NO! NO! NO!"

Me: "Do you want some help?"

Liam (pounding fists and kicking): "NO! Baby Duck must carry milk BY SELF!!"

He gave the whole endeavor another Herculean effort, and then collapsed in my lap.

Me: "Are you mad because you want to do things by yourself and it's too hard to do?"

Liam, lips quivering: "YEEEAAAAH! Baby Duck is just too teeny-tiny. Baby Duck needs Mommy to help him do by self."

The poor kid! It's really got to be hard to realize that he's too teeny-tiny for a lot of things, and this made me realize I need to keep an eye out for things he can do at the moment.

This train of thought led me to ask him if he wanted to go to the duck park down the street, and glory be, he did. After all, who better to feed six baby ducks than Baby Duck himself? He picked out the bread By Self. He picked out his shoes By Self. He found the ducks By Self. He counted the baby ducks By Self. He was looking quite pleased with himself by the end of the excursion.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better than the last couple of days. And hopefully I can find some more things for Baby Duck to do By Self.

6 Comments:

  • Good for you for figuring out exactly what he needs!

    By Blogger Piece of Work, at Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:09:00 PM  

  • Hi POW! I'm not sure it was "exactly" what he needed, but at least it seemed to help. There's still sniffling and sneezing going on, so that's not helping the crankiness any...

    By Blogger Liesl, at Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:16:00 PM  

  • Ah, yes. Do By Self. Do By Self is going to absolutely do me in one of these days. I have embarassingly little patience for Do By Self. I'm quite impressed at your ability to facilitate Do By Self without tearing your hair out!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:05:00 PM  

  • Hee hee, Rebecca! I never considered tearing my hair out. I think really big at times like these...I was contemplating throwing myself in the Delaware River...

    And Gran-Gran, I'm being completely tongue-in-cheek here. No need for Panic Mode quite yet!

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, May 04, 2006 9:11:00 PM  

  • My daughter is the same way; she must do everything herself, spurns any of my offers to help her, screams in frustration when she can't do said task by herself, and often ends up sobbing when I help her after all.

    'Tis a tough phase, for parent AND child.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:52:00 PM  

  • Looks like a lot of others can relate to what you and Liam are going through!
    Gran-Gran

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, May 05, 2006 7:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home