Come, Mommy

Monday, April 17, 2006

A True Mommy Moment

You'd think after almost two and a half years of mommyhood, I'd feel like a mom. But lots of times I watch Liam play, and it still amazes me that he's my kid. When I was growing up I always assumed that being a mom meant one felt all grown up and such, and lots of times I don't feel all grown up. Other times, I have moments where I really do feel like a mom. Being up at night with a sick child is one of those. Breaking up a squabble between Liam and Casey is also one of those moments. I had another this morning when Liam woke up asking for "one of those cookies Mommy made."

I made a batch of my grandma's chocolate-chip oatmeal cookies yesterday. It's a recipe Grandma made, my mom made, and now I'm making it. I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've made these cookies since Liam's been here, and he was hooked instantly. You have to understand that I am not particularly renowned for my cooking or baking skills, so to have my son specifically request something I'd baked was a Big Moment, and now I understand why women cook for two days straight when their grown sons come home to visit. There's something so essentially "mom" about feeding one's child, and it sure is sweet to see those eyes light up. I think I'll make these cookies again!

If you're interested, here's the recipe, with a caution. These are in no way healthy cookies (is there such a thing?) Grandma was a Southerner, and accordingly, there's enough shortening in here to do serious damage to one's arteries. There is a shortening out now that is made without hydrogenated oils, and I did try it this time, and yes, it worked, but if your cholesterol levels are high, stay away from these cookies...

Preheat oven to 350*.

Cream together:

1 C. shortening
3/4 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. white sugar

To the above, add:
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

Whip it for a minute or two, and then stir in:
1 3/4 C. flour
2 C. oatmeal
2 C. chocolate chips

Roll the dough into balls about one inch across and place on oiled cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the centers are set, but still soft. Remove from the cookie sheets and cool. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

  • These sound delicious! I'm always eager to try new cookie recipes.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Monday, April 17, 2006 2:25:00 PM  

  • Oh, those look good! I've never made cookies with shortening. I guess now that I'm a southerner, I'm required to try. RIGHT?? I have no choice but to make these cookies, RIGHT?!?!

    By Blogger CJ, at Monday, April 17, 2006 5:27:00 PM  

  • Suzanne - I hope you enjoy them!

    Pajama Mama - According to my Grandma, it's not even a matter of choice. As a Southerner, you MUST use shortening. Only Yankees bake without shortening, she used to tell me. She was a Texan and proud of it, swearing all her life the only oil/fat-type thing one should have in one's kitchen is Crisco...and maybe some butter, since of course one must make buttermilk, and you can't let the butter go to waste.

    You have no choice. You MUST bake these cookies.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Monday, April 17, 2006 11:13:00 PM  

  • Oh, they sound great. And what fun that Liam asked for them!

    By Blogger Piece of Work, at Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:08:00 AM  

  • I so hear you on having those "mom" moments. I still wonder at that sometimes, and I have three kids. But last night my littlest one woke up crying and I went in to soothe him. I picked him up, rocked him a bit and got him back down to sleep...and thought "Wow. I feel like a REAL MOM." It's a neat feeling. :)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home