Come, Mommy

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

That Funny Noise You Hear is My Jaw Hitting the Ground

I suspect that being on the receiving end of unsolicited parenting advice is one of the occupational hazards of being, well, a parent. But a couple of incidents recently have left me wondering, "What is up with people?"

On Sunday Kevin was with Liam at the mall. Liam was sitting on one of the coin-operated toddler rides. He loves to climb on them, but he freaks if we turn them on. At any rate, Kevin turned his back for moment, and a woman who had been watching walked up to the ride, inserted three quarters, and turned the ride on. Liam, of course, became all kinds of unhappy and demanded to be removed from the ride. Kevin was left wondering what possessed this woman to do this without even asking him for permission. As he pondered this, the woman got angry herself because Liam didn't want to stay on the ride.

I'm assuming the woman was just trying to do something nice for a small child, but to then become upset when the child doesn't appreciate the gesture? What?

And then, this morning, Liam and I were doing the grocery shopping. I was putting some jars of turkey baby food in the cart when I was stopped by another woman. (For the record, the turkey was for Bobo, our ailing ferret. I mix it in with a prescription pet food to make a high-calorie supplement for him called "duck soup".) She inquired as to Liam's age, and when I told her he is 28 months, she gave me quite the earful about him being much too old for baby food and no wonder he's so thin and has a runny nose. I didn't even bother to explain the baby food. She wasn't listening to anybody else, since clearly she is The World Authority on feeding toddlers.

I can't think of any reason for this lecture. All I want to know is what's with these people?

4 Comments:

  • Wow - you are certainly having experiences with strangers! I guess some people just can't help but give advice - and you even got 75 cents worth of unwanted ride time too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:55:00 PM  

  • People are CRAZY, that's what's wrong with them. I can't yet bring myself to cut my 1 year old son's hair (he's got sweet curls) and I've had strangers tell me that I should cut it or "people will think he's a girl." Oh, the horror! ;)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Wednesday, March 29, 2006 10:13:00 PM  

  • Oh, I am itching to run after that woman in the grocery store on your behalf! Not that she'd still be there or anything, just metaphorically speaking, I suppose.

    I've been fortunate never to have experienced one of those unsolicited comments, and I can't imagine having the temerity to make one myself.

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Friday, March 31, 2006 1:21:00 PM  

  • Mom, make that 75 cents worth of Liam freak-out time!

    Jennifer - Ah, that's the word I was looking for...CRAZY! I think Nolan's hair is gorgeous myself. For the record, there's a three-year-old boy in Liam's class whose hair has never been cut, and it's adorable. And no one would mistake Z for a girl. He's clearly all boy, even with hair cascading down his back.

    Suzanne - how did you luck out not getting all this advice? Do share your secret...

    Also, I have seen this woman at the store before. Next time I see her, I will let you come get her for me :)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Saturday, April 01, 2006 9:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home