Come, Mommy

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

8 Random Things

I was tagged for this meme several weeks ago by Lindyloo over at Chronicles of Squidgyboo (click on over there and wish Squidge a Happy First Birthday, will ya?). Finally I am getting around to it. In no particular order, here are 8 Random Things About Me...

1. I'm a flutist. I earned a respectable amount of pocket change in college playing and teaching the instrument. I used to especially enjoy wedding receptions because no one really was listening so I could try out new pieces, and well, free dinner that doesn't come from the cafeteria is always a winner. I haven't played much since the kids came along, but hopefully as the kids get older I'll find some more time to play.

2. Because of this penchant for playing flute, I attended (in Kevin's words) an artsy-fartsy boarding school. It was a wonderful place. I think about it often mostly because being there opened my eyes to the interconnection of arts, science, math, and just about everything else. I always said that if I had kids and they had the interest, I would love for them to go there. That's still true in theory, but in truth I love them too much to part with them for the school year. I find myself hoping they'll opt for the summer camp instead.

3. I also sing. I love to sing, but was afraid to for years after being kicked out of the school chorus in sixth grade. (Don't worry, things worked out fine because I then joined the band and the results were numbers 1 and 2 above.) There is a local chorus I've sung with, and I'm planning to go back next fall. It's a great source of adult company and decent quality musicianship.

4. I'm a third generation organic chemist. My grandparents and father were all chemists engaged in petroleum research. My grandmother's older sister was a sugar chemist. She got her PhD in the '30's, and although I don't know for sure, I've always assumed she was one of the first female PhD chemists in the nation.

5. I love animals. I grew up with a menagerie of varying species. I've had ferrets for fifteen years now.

6. Ferrets are incredibly wonderful pets. They are however, prone to expensive medical problems, and they need a fair amount of well ferret-proofed space to roam and play. They are also not the best critters to have around young children, so we've had to work really hard to keep things safe for the ferrets with Liam around.

7. I'm officially middle-aged. It's not the fact that Sunday was my mumble-mumble-nth birthday that tells me that. It's the fact that last week I got my first pair of reading glasses that convinced me.

8. I hate wearing shoes. I own only about seven pairs, and most of them are sneakers or flip-flops of some variety. I don't even own a pair of high heels.

There you have it. 8 Random Things. I think at this juncture I'm supposed to tag 8 other people, but it's late, so if you're reading this and are up to the challenge, consider yourself tagged. And let me know you're playing so I can read along.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home