Come, Mommy

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Do Marketers Know No Limits?

Kevin and I were doing the grocery shopping this morning, trudging (or in my case, waddling) our way up the health and beauty aisle. I glanced over at the shelf of nutritional supplements and saw a box of chocolate-covered almonds. The contents were clearly labelled as being "a healthy source of valuable Vitamin E and antioxidants," and dosing instructions were included along with the standard disclaimer about the contents not having been shown to prevent or treat any disease, yada, yada, yada.

I realize almonds are pretty nutritious, and there has been a lot of press recently about the health-worthiness of dark chocolate, but dudes, this was clearly a box of candy! So now I'm not sure what galls me more - the brazen attempt to market candy as a nutritional supplement/healthy snack, or the fact that some consumer might be gullible enough to fall for this ploy.

Oh, wait, I know what it was - the cost per dose of this "supplement." At $1.99 per ounce, this candy will cost you about $32.00 per pound.

Ouch.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • I don't know which is worse: the company having the nerve to do this or the fact that people will buy this for a "healthy" snack.

    By Blogger ccw, at Monday, March 12, 2007 12:48:00 PM  

  • Heehee, I hear you. Another brazen example: I once saw a label on a bag of oranges proclaim "contains no fat!" As if this was news. Are we so uninformed we wouldn't know this already? News flash, oranges have NEVER contained fat. Ugh.

    But chocolate covered almonds. I might overlook their attempt at health propaganda just because, you know, CHOCOLATE COVERED ALMONDS. Yum.

    By Blogger Dana, at Tuesday, March 13, 2007 9:05:00 PM  

  • that's nuts! doh, no pun intended. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home