Come, Mommy

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Not My Best Parenting Decision

Liam and I were at the drugstore today, and at the checkout he made it clear he wasn't leaving until I bought him some chocolate. As in, "Baby 'tay in 'tore. THEN mommy buy chocolate for Baby. Baby NEEDS chocolate. THEN Baby go home wif Mommy." Well, the poor kid's sick, and what the heck, I understand NEEDING chocolate from time to time. So I bought him a couple of Hershey's Kisses, and he agreed to come home.

I got him in his carseat, and without thinking at all about the potential ramifications of my actions, unwrapped the candy and gave it to him. Not even halfway home, a very worried voice piped up from the back.

Liam: "Mommy does need to stop car now. Come, Mommy. Mommy does need to wipe Baby's hands and face."

Me: "OK, hon, we'll be home in two minutes, and I'll find you a wipe."

Liam: "Uh-oh. Come, Mommy. Mommy does need to COME NOW. Chocolate EVERYWHERE!"

By that time we were in our driveway, and chocolate was indeed everywhere. Who would of thunk two kisses could get spread that far during a four-minute car ride? I think we'll stick to crackers for car snacks from now on.

And does anyone happen to know if I could, perchance, throw the whole back seat of my Saturn in an industrial size washing machine?

4 Comments:

  • This made me laugh because it struck a chord. Just substitute drugstore with the Hershey Chocolate factory on a very hot July day. And two fastidious kids screaming because there is chocolate everywhere. Ugh. You have my sympathy and understanding.

    By Blogger Dana, at Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:25:00 PM  

  • Oh, no, no, no, you have my sympathy and understanding. Two kids + chocolate factory + July = something that was likely much worse than what I saw yesterday. Yike-a-ronies.

    I'm also laughing with you since Liam is a bit on the neatnik side himself, which is why he was in Full Panic Attack Mode over melting chocolate. Kevin's nickname for Liam is "Felix". As in, "Felix, are you upset because there is ONE STRAND of dog fur on the floor?"

    By Blogger Liesl, at Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:23:00 PM  

  • Delurking to say, oh I know, I know! One Hershey's kiss can probably cover a full acre when sucked on and fiddled with long enough by a toddler. At least it washes off. One time, when my oldest son was just under two, he somehow managed to find a ball point pen in the back seat (I know-- call child protective services), and got it open, and had it smeared all over his face and hands by the time I noticed it had been veeeery quiet in the back seat for a suspiciously long time. Ball point pen has to WEAR off.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:27:00 PM  

  • Hi Martha!

    That pen ink does sound bad! Thanks for the heads up on that one :)

    As it turns out, our dog was more than glad to help us clean the chocolate off of the car seats. I doubt he'd be that helpful in the case of ink.

    And now someone needs to call Doggie Protective Services, since chocolate is bad for dogs. Along with the chocolate, Casey also cleaned up approximately one pound of crumbled Cheerios from the car floor. I'm now operating under the assumption that dogs need whole grain in their diets, too.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, January 26, 2006 1:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home