Come, Mommy

Monday, January 23, 2006

And Now For Something New And Different

Some academic smarty-pants has apparently decreed that today is The Most Depressing Day of the Year. That's not news to me given the fact that Liam and I both have our umpteenth cold of the season and therefore spent a large part of the day in bed reading books. Rather than bore you with the icky details of runny noses and sneezing, I thought I'd try something new and different.

It seems that both Dana and Rebecca are in search of someone to tag in the Fours meme. Since I seem to be the only person on the net who's never participated in one of these memes, I thought I'd jump at the opportunity. So, without further ado, here goes nothing.

Four Jobs You've Had:
1. Pet shop manager
2. Chemist
3. Paper Carrier (7th grade. I lasted for only one northwestern PA winter)
4. Short order cook at the college snack shop

Four Movies You Could Watch Over and Over:
1. The Hunt for Red October
2. The Sound of Music (I know, I know, especially given my name and all)
3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the new one with Johnny Depp)
4. The Nightmare Before Christmas

Four Places You've Lived:
1. Edinboro, PA (the site of the ill-fated paper route)
2. Interlochen, MI (my favorite of all the places I've lived)
3. Aberdeen, Scotland
4. Bartlesville, OK

Four TV Shows You Love to Watch:
1. ER
2. Law and Order (the original or any of the spin-offs)
3. Megastructures (yes, I'm a geek)
4. Untold Stories of the ER

Four of Your Favorite Books:
Aw, heck, I do read. A lot. It's just that nothing sticks in my brain these days. Honestly, I had to reread (twice)the directions on a box of Annie's Mac and Cheese the other day. So, if memory serves:
1. Under the Tuscan Sun
2. The Way Baseball Works
3. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
4. The Kalahari Typing School for Men


Four Places You've Been on Vacation:
1. Outer Banks of NC
2. Disneyworld
3. Grenada
4. St. Kitts

Four Websites You Visit Everyday:
1. Weather Underground (I'm a meteorology junkie.)
2. Accuweather (see above.)
3. My Yahoo groups
4. My favorite blogs

Four of Your Favorite Foods:
1. Baked ziti
2. German chocolate cake
3. Shoofly Pie
4. Anything involving fresh fruit

Four Places You'd Rather be Right Now:
1. Disneyworld
2. A warm beach anywhere
3. Yosemite National Park
4. Northwestern Michigan

Four Bloggers You are Tagging:
1. Kathleen
2. Chili
3. Suzanne
4. Um, I'm plumb out of names.

Yup, that was definitely more fun than relating goopy nose stories. And now I have to run, since Liam has succeeded in coughing himself awake. Again.

9 Comments:

  • I have not seen any of the movies you listed. Yay - I'm off to Netflix now. We're always looking for something new. Not that we ever have time to actually watch...

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Monday, January 23, 2006 10:25:00 PM  

  • Enjoy! Just beware of "Nightmare." It has the look and feel of a kids' movie, but it might be too scary for really young kiddos.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Monday, January 23, 2006 10:49:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the tag! I'll get to it soon.


    Confession: I've loved the name "Liesl" ever since I first saw The Sound of Music. It's my favorite girl's name!

    By Blogger Suzanne, at Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:38:00 AM  

  • Sure thing - I'm surprised someone hadn't tagged you already!

    I'm glad you like the name - most people think it's "Leslie", just mispelled, or they hear "Lisa" when I pronounce it. But it works well at our vet's office, where the ferrets are known as "Liesl's Weasels!" At which point Liam pipes up helpfully with, "NO! Liam's weasels!"

    By Blogger Liesl, at Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:45:00 PM  

  • Hi Liesl! Nice to "meet" you and glad you liked the meme. I do have to admit when I saw your name (and I really like it!), I immediately thought of "The Sound of Music". But weirdly, I feel like breaking out into, "I am 16 going on 17 . . . ." Does it drive you crazy?

    By Blogger Dana, at Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:09:00 PM  

  • And I forgot to mention, as far as most depressing day of the year; is it a coincidence that the conservatives won an election here that day? I think not.

    Hey, loved the CTV link.

    By Blogger Dana, at Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:21:00 PM  

  • Hi, Dana! Thanks for the comments. And the compliments!

    As for The Sound of Music, 11th grade, when I actually was 17, did drive me crazy. It didn't help that I was going to a fine arts high school, and studying music. My parents have no idea what they got me into with this name! I haven't heard the "16 going on 17" reference lately, though. Thanks for the memories. I think...

    Yeah, I saw your post on the election. You sounded about as happy as I did when Bush won here in '94. But I gotta say that any country with universal health care, a year (imagine!) of maternity leave, and a woman's right to choose not in question has to be miles ahead of the good ole' USA. Although, somehow, life keeps chugging along here, and I suspect it will in Canada, as well.

    And I found the CTV link purely because I was on-line looking for information on the Canadian election. It seems the American media wasn't paying too much attention to our northern neighbor. Hmph! Glad you liked the link, though.

    By Blogger Liesl, at Wednesday, January 25, 2006 9:16:00 PM  

  • I'm so glad that I'm not the only one for whom books aren't exactly "sticking" these days... :)

    By Blogger Rebecca, at Thursday, January 26, 2006 5:25:00 PM  

  • Nope, you're definitely not the only one. I think that lack-of-sticking thing is one of the occupational hazards of being a mom :)

    By Blogger Liesl, at Thursday, January 26, 2006 9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home