Come, Mommy

Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Weather's Pretty Boring Here

I'm such a weather geek. My interest in meteorology developed as a child in the Midwest, where I learned early on to keep an eye to the sky during the spring tornado season. The fact that my grandfather was a spotter for the National Weather Service helped, too. He often took me on storm spotting drives, much to my grandmother's dismay. But we always had fun, and he always brought me home safe and sound.

Now I'm stuck in the Mid-Atlantic, and the weather here is just plain boring by comparison. The forecast for the upcoming week is an illustration of this, as the prediction every day is a high in the upper 60's, with a chance of thunderstorms. Even so, I always click over to the local NWS office's forecast discussion just to read some meteorology lingo. I got a big laugh out of part of today's discussion, which I've excerpted below.

Overview...
April showers did bring may flowers and we are seeing plenty of them
today as we celebrate mothers day, which by the way was first
observed in these parts(philadelphia)in 1907. Will be rushing
through my work this afternoon, not for lack of data, not for
equipment problems, and not for this being a tough forecast. But
since this is the day when the phone is used more than any other
day, i'll certainly be called, but on the carpet if I am late for
mothers day dinner with my mother in law.


Thanks for the chuckle, Forecaster Eberwine. I hope the dinner wasn't too painful. And I hope everyone out there had a happy Mother's Day!

1 Comments:

  • Yep, the weather is going to be very unhelpful this week. At least we didn't get all the rain New England got this weekend. My dad said their lawn looks like a giant pond.

    I love that forcast!

    By Blogger chichimama, at Monday, May 15, 2006 7:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home