Come, Mommy

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Chicago Update

When I left for Chicago, I was dealing with a bit of a funk. Things are looking up now. In the last two days I've heard talks ranging from a fairly hard-core breastfeeding pharmacology session by Thomas Hale (I loved this talk being a medicinal chemist and all) to a discussion of natural childbirth by Ina May Gaskin to a discipline session given by William and Martha Sears to a talk celebrating the importance and value of breastfeeding from Peggy O'Mara. Everything I have heard has driven home for me the importance of gentle, loving guidance for kids starting at birth with the first nursing session and evolving as the child does to encompass lots of touch, respect, and safe limit setting. No one ever said that parenting is easy work, and it may in fact be harder to follow an attachment parenting paradigm, but if you look at the evidence, and you look at all the healthy, sweet kiddos roaming the halls of this conference, then you can see why parenting is such an important job. It's been affirming to hear all these greats in the field of breastfeeding/attachment parenting while at the same time tickling my baby and looking at all the other kids in the room. I'm feeling better about the world in general and parenting in particular.

I also love Chicago, and with the cool days that the Chamber of Commerce clearly ordered up for this anniversary conference, it's been fun being outside. Kieran and I sat outside at a coffee shop on Michigan Avenue yesterday. I looked down at the Congress Hotel. It used to be the Pick Congress, and my parents and I attended a fancy dinner there one night back in middle school when my dad passed his CPA exam and all the new CPA's were honored. I felt like such a grown-up that night. Then I remembered how I played in a concert with my high school band for a music educators' conference at the Hilton. And here I am again, at the Hilton, this time as a grown-up, attending my very own conference with my very own baby by my side.

Liam and Kevin have been having a great time doing the tourist thing. We were here last summer for a conference for Kevin, and Liam's now playing the old pro and showing his dad how cool the Navy Pier, the Museum of Science and Industry, and other spots are. As opposed to last year when it was really, really hot and humid, it's been dry and cool here, so no one has collapsed with the heat, and we've been eating outside whenever we have the chance. Kieran and I met the guys for lunch at the Navy Pier today. We sat outside and tried to explain the difference between the ocean and Lake Michigan to Liam - "But, Mommy, there's a lighthouse! That means it's an ocean!" I got some great photos of the boys, but I may have to wait until I get home to post them as Blogger isn't being photo-friendly tonight. (What's up with Blogger?? The other night it wouldn't let me post paragraphs. Anyway.) Trust me, though, everyone's having a fantastic time.

No one found my wallet, so that's the one thorn in all of this. We're going to see if we can get a photocopy of my birth certificate and/or a photocopy of my driver's license to help at the airport on Wednesday. However, since this is a post-9/11 world, we may not be able to, so things could get interesting trying to get home. If all else fails, the back-up plan is to run out and buy two car seats and then rent a car. It's about 15 hours home....hhhhmmmm, how many times can a 3-year-old ask, "Are we there yet?" in that time frame????

Wish us luck, and pray we never find the answer to that question!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

  • what a great time! gosh, your post really makes me wish i was there, though i almost feel like i am by reading your wonderful description.

    glad to hear the weather is being so nice and that the conference is going so well. it sounds awesome! i'd love to be a part of it. maybe next year? :)

    oh and come on over to wordpress. it's so much nicer. ;)

    good luck getting home. i will cross my fingers that you don't have to rent a car.

    By Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess, at Monday, July 23, 2007 1:06:00 AM  

  • love that parenting philosophy.
    and that's all i have to say about that X

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Monday, July 23, 2007 2:18:00 AM  

  • If you need anything, let me know. And I so hope you don't have to drive back...I have to assume they have procedures in place, I assume you have tried calling the airlines to see what they say already? Do you have a passport someone could fedex you from home? I assume there is someone watching the ferrets...

    By Blogger chichimama, at Monday, July 23, 2007 7:17:00 AM  

  • Glad (although quite jealous!) that the conference is so great. Let me know if I can do anything for you on this end. I owe you for the Dr. Maria recommendation! :)

    By Blogger Lisa, at Monday, July 23, 2007 8:49:00 AM  

  • I am so insanely jealous of the pharmacology seminar right now (I did my undergrad in it, I am such a geek at heart)!!!!

    Sucks about the wallet. I left my purse on the plane years ago on my way to Arizona, and it was never found. But that was also way before 9-11. It will work out in the end,somehow! Just think of all the wonderful memories a road trip would bring!

    By Blogger Christy, at Monday, July 23, 2007 5:28:00 PM  

  • Crossing my fingers that you don't have to rent a car for the way home!

    Glad you are having a good time. The weather is just perfect! Can't wait to see the pics when you return.

    By Blogger Laura, at Monday, July 23, 2007 9:00:00 PM  

  • Sounds like a great conference, and a great trip. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the trip home. If the unthinkable happens, you might consider buying one of those little portable dvd players along with the carseats. ;)

    By Blogger Julie, at Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:06:00 AM  

  • I would have loved to hear Tom Hale. His books and website are priceless! He has been such a positive resource for me over the last 15 years and 84+ months(and counting) of breastfeeding.

    Once I heard Sheila Kitzinger speak at a state LLL Conference. What a hoot!

    Sounds like y'all are having a great time. Hope the wallet/flying situation isn't too much of a hassle.

    By Blogger MentalMom, at Tuesday, July 24, 2007 2:55:00 PM  

  • It sounds like a wonderful conference - and a great trip!

    By Blogger Jennifer, at Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home