Come, Mommy

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hot Time in the City

Yowza, was it hot in Chicago yesterday. The heat index was something like 114o at the lakeshore. Accordingly, Liam and I stayed inside at the Museum of Science and Industry. There is a lot to see there, but hands down, the farm equipment and the planes are Liam's favorite things. The Farm features real John Deere equipment including a tractor and a combine, while the Take Flight section has a retired United 727 hung from the ceiling for visitors to explore.


"Mommy! I found the keys! Now I can turn on the loud combine harvester!!!"



"Real tractors are loud and also very really big! I dropped my keys here on the ground. I'm going to find them and then drive the tractor, that's the plan. It's no problem, really. Yup, that's the plan!



"We're in the jumbo jet! Oh no! I forgot to tell the pilot to turn on the engines! I'm going to phone him and tell him to turn them on. That's the plan, actually."



"Hi, Mr. Pilot? I climbed the combine harvester and the tractor and now I need you to turn on the engines! Thanks! Bye-bye!"



"The jet and tractor museum is really very cool and also they have really very big chocolate muffins."




"I'm tired!"

The museum was such a big hit that we ended up there again today. We started out at Lincoln Park Zoo. We visited the seals and the lions, which amused Liam for brief periods. Longer periods were taken up with him repeating, "I want to go back to the jet and chocolate muffin museum. Now!" It quickly became clear that our zoo visit was doomed; we grabbed a cab and went back to the Museum of Science and Industry, where we visited the jet and the farm equipment again. Tomorrow we are going to visit the Shedd Aquarium. That's the plan, actually.

Anyone want to take bets on whether we actually stay there?

6 Comments:

  • I love taking my little ones to museums and such and watching them absorb it all.
    One of the best things about being a parent, I think.
    Great pictures!

    By Blogger butterfly cocoon, at Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:07:00 AM  

  • What a treasure of photos and commentary! You knew that he'd like that museum. Thank you, thank you.
    Gran-Gran

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, July 19, 2006 8:19:00 AM  

  • My grandparents lived across the street from the Museum of Science and Industry when I was a little girl. We'd walk over every day to spend the afternoon there. I still remember all the telephones for listening to the exhibits.

    I'm glad it's still as fun for little ones as it was *cough* 30-odd years ago.

    By Blogger Phantom Scribbler, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:02:00 PM  

  • Oh, and also? Baby Blue would not let me leave this post for some time. She said, "Who he talking to? Awwwwwwww. He uh cute boy!"

    Right now she's saying, "I want to see him AGAIN!"

    By Blogger Phantom Scribbler, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:04:00 PM  

  • Trish-We had the best time. There are things at the museum that I had forgotten since I'd been there as a kid, and it was fun rediscovering them with Liam.

    Phantom-What fun place for grandparents to live. Things have physically changed since we were kids. Most of the telephones have been replaced by loud video/interactive computer displays, and there are new exhibits on virtual reality and genetics that are quite good. The heart of the place is still the same, though :) I wanted to go in the coal mine, but thought it was a bit too scary for Liam. That's a classic exhibit!

    Baby Blue-You are a sweetheart! (((HUGS)))

    By Blogger Liesl, at Tuesday, July 25, 2006 9:45:00 PM  

  • What a fabulous experience for your son. Your son is gorgeous. :-) I always enjoy having my daughter experience new adventures.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thursday, August 03, 2006 6:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home